Omens or figments of an over-active imagination?

I just officially accepted that I'm going through a really tough time,when i burnt my cookies....Okay you might think I'm superstitious but let me tell you i  am NOT superstitious(or am I!!)
Yes i have a lucky pen and lucky chain(is that being superstitious!!!?)...
I remember during my boards when most of my friends turned religious i realized that i needed to start studying ASAP!!!
Anyway speaking of superstitious recently a friend nearly gave me a mini heart attack by saying that she's planning to do some santoshi ma ka vrarth..! For quite sometime i thought she was joking but then she told me why she plans to do it and blah blah and i understood she was serious.
She told me that she's keeping this fast because she thinks "by doing this fast her wish will be fulfilled.."
I dint know what to tell her just because i dint believe in it i had no right to disregard somebody else's..
But i couldn't help but wonder,
Does the 'next generation self-sufficient woman' still believe in such superstitions?

If i wake up one day and tell my mom that I'll keep some sort of vrath today my mom will tell me to go wash my face(and then give me extra food because she will obviously think I'm giving excuses for dieting!!)..
I always thought maybe these superstitions are prevalent mostly in the rural areas because of illiteracy but I am beginning to understand that urban people are as much affected....


A black cat crosses your path and you go back, A lizard falls on your head and you live in fear of death,your eyes wink unusually and you bring ill luck!
Are these omens or figments of an over-active imagination? 



There is this sola somwaar ka vrath and the oh so romantic karva chauth ka vrath which is so cliche nowadays ... Indian women do all kinds of fasts and stuff for the long life of their husband and children...Maybe they think that they are doing their bit for their family..
I wonder how many of these fasts can actually guarantee a long life(then they should be included in our medical syllabus!!!)...


I have this friend(my cousin's friend whose also my friend!!) who completed her PhD in psychology..She comes from a really educated family who never imposed anything on her but she did some somvari vrath or whatever to get a good husband..
We used to tease her for that but she got married ultimately with this so called "Perfect guy" who made her wash his cars after 3 months of their grand marriage(held in a 5 star)...
Dr Sushi had become like a jharu pocha lagane wali and gari dhone wali maid only to be threatened to be thrown out of their house almost every day while her husband happily had an affair..
After 3 more months of torture she fled from their house..

I cannot help but wonder can these things change your fate??Or does remaining hungry actually guarantee a long life for your husband or please god?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday blues..!

Just As long as we are together

Aaj fir ek cigarette...