Are you waiting to be happy?

This point in my life the one right now can be termed as "the chase". Till a year ago I was this normal, bored, half asleep, college go-er. Who bunked classes to get some extra hours of sleep.
Till one day when this project came along my way and I found a reason to move my complacent ass out of bed every morning! I realized that I could make a difference with my work(and not my remarks which helped me gain a few enemies here and there!) and the rest slowly fell into place.
I mostly like working in my research project , somedays  I hate it and feel overworked and under-appreciated on some I feel like a super she-ro by finishing all of what I took on my plate (and do a happy jig now and then!).  So basically this project thingy has become sort of like my disputed lover who I quarrel with a lot and then kiss and make up by working extra hard.

Truth be told, there is a kind of friction among the people working in my lab and I can't help but feel that every time while working. Its like your in an overly melodramatic saas bahu weepy serial where everyone blames everyone for petty matters and there are people to say nahii-nahii-nahii!
 Initially it was really difficult to adjust at such a place because you know I hate daily soaps.  All that negativity would wear me down by the end of the day and I would feel like that tortured bahu in that serial . But I found reasons to be happy (other than like throwing food colour mixed water on my lab enemy's shoes and sailing sweet little paper boats on them!!)
and there's nothing more satisfying than finishing your work goals on time to make your saas happy, also known as my lab mentor, who is a man addicted to watching Mahabharata and Ramayana type daily soaps which even my 8 year old cousin will refuse to watch!!
Maybe he watches these soaps to become more scheming like Duryodhan or something..(who knows!)
At the end of it all I'm slowly learning to stop being the nincompoop (also known as bolod or cow in Bengali which a friend calls me!) and give back the uncouth behaviour I am subjected to in that lab which helps me de-stress and makes working there less agonizing. ( Why be the tortured bahu when you can be the sexy vamp ;) )

Anyway this post is about finding reasons to be happy, What makes you happy?
Good food?
 Great music? 
An enriching conversation?
 A good day at work?
 A trip to nowhere? 
Or maybe somewhere? 
Or maybe doing nothing that sheer joy of wasting the day!? 

If you ask me I'd say maybe a trip to nowhere would make me happy right now at this hour (3 am!) when most normal people sleep!
I've noticed that when people define happiness they talk about it as if its some destination(like Ladakh for me!) something they'll have to dig to explore. But is it just that feeling of relief when your misery ends(or the start of a new one)? 
When you ace that difficult paper? When you get the girl/boy you love? 
What is the point of this struggle if it leaves you feeling more miserable. 
We're all running this rat race trying to prove somewhere that we are worth our salt. 
Are we aware of where its taking us?

Waiting for something, someone, some milestone to achieve to be our kinda happy. But what is this happy all about we just don't know. 

I travel in a crowded public bus everyday(with a heavy bag whose weight is more than mine!) with different people from all walks of life, some strangers I won't ever meet again and some familiar faces who board the bus with me everyday. And since I have the awful habit of observing people around me I tend to be full of stories by the end of the day!
Some look happy chatting on their phones as they get pushed and pulled with one hand holding on to the poor bus handle, someone or the other fights for non-existential places or a seat, few have a tired grief stricken face as if their whole world just shattered, one or two couples who find no space other than the bus to get things on (rest of the world be damned)!  Amidst all these people an interesting part are the ones who choose to stare at their cellphones and smile(makes me wonder what they're talking about!).  

I find happiness in the simplest places like being a part time magician to the roadside dogs, I feed everyday, who think I can make packets of biscuits appear out of thin air. 
While walking to my college everyday I come across this building with yellow flowers all year round, they can cheer up even the most gloomy days in my calender.  
Reading a book with Daku and Gunda(my doggy babies!) lazing nearby. 
Trying out all the ways of swinging in a swing(till it is in a breakable state!)
Meeting my good old friends who are allowed to laugh at me and show me where I stand from time to time.. 
The list could go on and on! 

Well the base line is stop letting your worries suck the life out of you, sometimes you need to mute the pesky voices in your head telling you what's right and wrong and just do what makes you happy   ( doesn't include criminal activity, or slapping your boss because well! he's peskier than the voices!!) 
So what if you are thrown out of your comfort zone and into a dark dungeon with spiders, scorpions and ......(well you know what I mean don't you!?)
Just steel yourself and know that you will have to fight your own battles.
 Live for the love of it not for the sake of it. This world isn't getting any better, politics and the rising intolerance is like a ragging migraine on all of us(atleast me!) so while we're here lets just try to find happiness in the little bus rides, the people smiling at their cell phones, the dogs who think you are a magician or the photo-chromatic glasses which change colour now and then(atleast someone doesn't have to pay for aviators!)..

Gotta run! 

Till then Choose Happy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday blues..!

Just As long as we are together

Aaj fir ek cigarette...