Why I love Calcutta...!

There's this song Ei sohor jane amar prothom shobkichu by kabir suman,whenever i listen to this song i realize once again how much this city means to me...Truly this city has given me my firsts,from my first day of school to my first friend,the first time i learnt to ride a bicycle to driving a car and i can keep on adding to the list...
This city has taught me when to ignore and when to raise my voice,it has given me one or more opportunities to become bad but ample opportunities to do and become good..
This is a city where everyone has an opinion and you cannot help but have one too, you realize that when you have to stand in a crowded bus,metro or maybe a long queue and suddenly some people who are perhaps strangers break out into a discussion about things like rising petrol costs,the drop of the Rupee, football, the soaring temperatures and the common topic is about the government or the lack of it...

It almost seems like your the only one in a hurry and they have all the time in the world you will very rarely find a hint of rush or hurry in their conversation....
In Calcutta whether your interested in politics or not everyone knows the laal and  shobuj..


*Laal= means red in bengali is the color of  Communist party called CPM(Marxist)
And Shobuj=means green in bengali is the color of the Trinamool Congress party (TMC). 

Politics is like the bhaat Mach for us here..Even if your not interested you talk about it,you criticize it and whether we agree or not we all are a part of it..!‬

I don't think any other city is as passionate about it's politics or football like Calcutta..The Mohon bagan,East bengal derby is the topic of constant debate among people...
Saurav Ganguly, the prince of Calcutta is a larger than life figure for us,many of us(including me) have stopped watching cricket after his retirement..
We would always prefer phuchka over pizza and we swear by our misti doi and rossogolla.


If you ask me what keeps this city going I would say passion...Passion gets a whole new meaning when you associate it with Kolkata...From the ultra crowded Boi mela to the parar pujo,the michils or the parar football matches,the chutiye prem kora to the mach er daam dor kora,the love for phuchka or the love for politics..
Kolkata and her passion is tremendous...Kolkata and the average Bengali won't comprise on anything from it's Mach bhaat,to it's books and music.































   



This city maybe tough on us sometimes and weather might be unbearable during summer 
and you might find yourself saying "politics kore kore shob noshto hoygelo" but that doesn't change the love and attachment I have for this city and it's people,even it's michils (I always had this childhood dream of walking in one and shouting cholchena cholbena like the others,but obviously I couldn't..!!).
Calcutta is one city if you fall in love with her she'll remain with you forever...I remember asking my dad what Calcutta meant when I was small and he told me a story about how she was named but it's much later that I truly understood the meaning of Calcutta...Calcutta for me means passion no matter which color it is in , shobuj or laal it's all about the passion...

Comments

  1. Now I'm curious to know what your dad said at that time: what was Kolkota named for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are different stories about how Calcutta was named..My dad told me this one,
      When Job Charnock first visited this place he asked a farmer the name of the area around Hooghly River. The farmer thought he was asking about when he harvested his land..
      He answered kaal kata which means I have cut it yesterday.
      And Charnock pronounced it as Calcutta..!! :)
      Calcutta's name was changed to Kolkata in 2001 but people(like me!) still like to call it Calcutta for the nostalgia.. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I love Kolkata too... for the Chai, the chat and the Ghat. Specially Dakshineshwar temple...

    Thanks for bringing back my fond memories of being in Kolkata...

    http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.in/2010/11/wandrlust-dakshineshwar-in-laps-of-kali.html

    Shashi
    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.in
    At Twitter @VerseEveryDay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, Kolkata is famous for the Chai and the adda which follows..!
      The best thing about Kolkata is that people here are really attached to their roots and some things are still the same,the old buildings,lanes and the Ghat are still the same here...
      Thank you so much for stopping by..
      Keep reading... : )

      Delete
  3. Hello, I enjoy reading all of your post. I wanted to write a little comment to support
    you.

    Feel free to visit my web page; Reinaldo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and Nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Dont forget to share your views on my scribblings...
P.s. Too much of appreciation is injurious to scribbler's health..!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday blues..!

Just As long as we are together

Aaj fir ek cigarette...